Saturday, June 15, 2013

Malty, Me and the Rainbow Bridge

I have always been a dog lover. My heart breaks everytime I see a dog in a bad shape or a hear a dog dying. For as long as I can remember, my family always owns a dog. However, we were given the chance to own a very special one who stayed with us for 16 years.

His name was Malty.

 photo 29FFDCC5-D31D-43B7-BBB6-3652658AA6F7-6430-000001D740E04AF9.jpg 

I can clearly remember when we got him, I was eleven years old. He was together with his little sister that we named Sherbet but unfortunately Sherbet died even before she turned 1. 

Malty was no ordinary dog. He was really sweet and he always stayed beside me or my mom. There was a time when I didnt have my own room and I slept in my mom's room and malty was also there. When we go to sleep, I will get him and ask him to stay beside me and never leave me. He will look at my and lay down on top of my head and once I fall asleep he will transfer beside my mom. But he knows when Im already about to wake up and he will go back to the same spot where he lay down before I sleep so when i wake up i know he's there.

When I was in highschool, whenever Im feeling sad and I have no one to talk to. I tell him all my problems and he will look at me with sincere eyes as if he's telling me that everything will be ok and he will stay on my lap or lay down beside me. That's his own way of comforting me.

When he was still alive, I always prayed to God to keep Malty safe. I couldn't imagine my life without him. As I see him getting older, I got scared that God might already take him away from us. I saw him getting weaker. His eyes turned white, his coat was not that shiny anymore and he was so thin. He got blind and he can only move around through his sense of smell.. But even though I see him that way, I still prayed to God to not take Malty away.

I remember a conversation I had with my mom. It was dinner time and she told me that she's scared and depressed because she felt that Malty will leave us soon. She can't bear sleeping with him anymore because he might go anytime. That night she told me that she asked the maids to stay with Malty and should anything happen to him, the maids should inform me so we can have him cremated right away and one request that she had was to not let her know.

The next morning I was about to go to work, when I woke up, the made approached me and told me to go to the kitchen, I went and asked if it's about Malty. She said he was gone. I didnt dare look at him anymore. I went back to my room and cried and cried, I immediately called Manang Tessie (Our cook) and made some arrangements on how we can get Malty out of the house to have him cremated without my mom knowing.

I struggled so hard and tried not to cry because my mom is gonna drop me off at work. Good thing my office was just a 5 minute ride from where we live but I felt like that was the longest 5 minutes of my life. As soon as I got off the car, I started crying again. I cannot accept that Malty was gone.

I called up Manang Tessie again and inquired about the cremation and I was appalled when she told me that it will take 2 weeks before we can get Malty's ashes. I cried the whole day at work. I felt like I lost a brother. You see, Malty might be just a dog for others but for me he was more than a pet, he was my secrets' keeper. He knew when to cheer me up, when Im happy or when Im sick and all through out his 16 years of existence, he was there for me.

Here is a photo of his urn which i took just earlier today as its just now that I had the heart to take a photo of it:


When it was given to us, it included a really touching card that made me cry until now everytime I read it:



Here's a transcription of what was written inside:

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When a pet that has been especially close to someone here dies, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again. Just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion , never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow bridge together...

The last page of the card made me cry even more.


and the transcription:

Weep Not For Me
Chikako Yamamoto (1946)

You will be sad, I understand
But dont let grief then stay your hand
For on this day more than the rest
Your love and friendship has stood the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldnt want me to suffer so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me to where my needs they will tend,
Only, stay with me until the end
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes can no longer see.

Although my tail, its last has waved,
From pain and suffering it has been saved,

Dont make your grieve be for so long,
My wish is you will soon move on;
We've been so close these past years,
Dont let your heart hold any tears

I miss malty so much that most of the time I really wish that he's still here. Especially when I feel bad. No one can make me feel better than he does. But for now, I will just wait for the day that I will see him again for us to cross the Rainbow Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment